Zach Zupancic

Zach Zupancic

Senior Designer, SolidWorks addict, AutoCAD zealot, Cyclist, Shade Tree Mechanic, & moderately tall. 

037, put it in the hole

So yesterday we woke up, got some anti-zombie juice, and then started to attack the install.

The first issues that we ran into were the fact that the alternator and the intake manifold would be hitting on the stock motor mounts and the hood latch.

inside
inside
inside
inside


So we cut the mounts off, and in one case beat the shit out of it, and removed the alternator. Since Volvo's have two stock alternator locations I will be using the other one on the driver's side engine; I am gonna have to re-buy that bracket as I threw it away after I got the lower one.

inside
inside
inside
inside

We put the engine back in the car to see where about it sat in the car.

inside
inside
inside
inside
inside

we removed the engine and cut part of the stock transmission mount on the driver's side for some transmission clearance.

inside

That is about as far back as the transmission will sit. So it looks like I will have to enlarge the hole, as well as design my own shift lever to make it work.

After a quick peek at how the engine sits we cut up a quick few pieces and made a temp mount to see how it would fare.

inside
inside

But before we could continue Martin needed to sharpen his mini-sword.

inside

a couple tacs here and there

inside

but when we put in the metal we found out that the motor mounts don't fit exactly flat, so we decided to change our strategy

inside
inside

A slight change in the gusseting design

inside
inside
inside
inside

There are going to be some of you that are asking why not just move the engine back farther cut a hole in your firewall and get the shifter in the right spot. I will give you that answer: steering column clearance.

inside

The day was growing thin, and then it got dark, but we were able to get the big stuff out of the way at 10:30.

-037-
037

I am going to be heading back there today to slot some of the holes, properly mount the bellhousing to the transmission (which apparently doesnt need to be that accurate, just make the hole bigger so that it will fit), and get everything in a towable state so that I can start working on it in a real garage.

In regards to the tans-mount: it is pretty much in the exact same spot as the stock one is, but since we had to make a clearance cut I'll just have to modify one side. That is gonna be made after the car is in my garage.

-'till next time